The Australian Government coat of Arms

Communities of practice

Communities of practice

Visual Notes from 2nd July!

Hi guys! Please pop your pictures from this session in this topic!

Quick summary of what I covered;

Draw an approximation of the shape of your subject’s face (is it round, square, oblong, diamond?)
How does the hair interact with the shape of their face? What is their hairline doing? Does their hair create a fun silhouette? (think Albert and Frida)
Roughly where are their features on their face? Try and put the mouth and eyes roughly in the right position, it’s usually the case that eyes are about a third of the way down the head, and the mouth is the bottom third of the head. Do they have distinctive eyebrows or glasses?
Is their nose long? Pointy? Or is it not that obvious? This might change how you draw it!
Remember, it only takes a couple of key features that make someone distinctive! It doesn’t have to be perfect, it just needs to suggest a likeness. And if you’re drawing someone “conventionally attractive” you will actually usually find it’s much harder to get a likeness as their features aren’t all that distinctive. They can be really boring to draw!

I’d love to see what you did!

2 Likes

Another super fun catch up, thanks Claire and Max!
I can relate to your comment, Claire, I recently tried drawing Pete Evans and it was super tough - he’s too symmetrical! Thanks, Emma

1 Like

These are great!!!

1 Like