Translation services

I’m interested in current best practice around translation of web content into community languages. Does anyone have any knowledge, research insights or experiences of using translation services?

It is rather interesting that the Translation and Interpreting Service (TIS National) doesn’t seem to provide translation services.

I have always thought that it was best practice to engage National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters NAATI certified professionals for translation services when it comes to government websites, since it appears to be the minimum standard required for official government document translation and would probably be the same for website content.

Many universities will also offer translation services within their language and linguistics departments, but I suspect that they will simply be NAATI certified professionals working at universities.

If there is any ‘best practice’ to speak of, it would be to avoid using Google Translate or other ‘automated’ translation services unless you can be sure that the content translated goes through a quality assurance process with professional translators and native speakers.