The Australian Government coat of Arms

Communities of practice

Communities of practice

Timeout alert dialog

I have seen some implementations of the design system alerts being used for session timeouts recently. I don't believe that the alerts component is an accessible option for providing session timeouts for reasons relating to the absence of any programmatic notification or appropriate focus management etc.

In any case, I believe that there is a need for a component that satisfies the requirements of WCAG success criteria 2.2.1 in the design system.

There are several implementation options that meet this success criterion, the most common of these being an alertdialog (see the ARIA Authoring Practices example) with the necessary focus management that allows people to quickly and easily extend a timeout.

1 Like

Welcome, @electronicwoft!

Thanks for suggesting a component!

Just to clarify:

1. Is the existing Alerts component you’re referring to the same as the Page alerts component?
  2. Is this the alertdialog ARIA Authoring Practices example you’re referring to?

I have seen some implementations of the design system alerts being used for session timeouts recently.

Can you describe where you’ve seen these implementations, or provide some URLs?

Hi Gordon,

thanks for the warm welcome. yes, page alerts and, yes, alertdialog example from ARIA 1.1. examples. As I have said elsewhere, the ARIA examples are contested, but are a good starting point. I’d love to point to example implementations of page alerts, but, unfortunately, the instances I have seen require authentication. The implementations I have seen provide no programmatic notification of their presence; destroy focus when they are actioned; do not manage focus when they are displayed (despite requiring interaction); can occur outside the viewport; visually displace content when displayed; had an incorrectly implemented live region to countdown a multi-minute timer; used line-break elements to create vertical spacing, and; did not satisfy the requirements of SC2.2.1 more broadly.