The Australian Government coat of Arms

Communities of practice

Communities of practice

Recent whole of government accessibility review?

Hi. Is anyone aware of a whole of government web accessibility review/scorecard? I’m looking for something similar to The 2021 readability scorecard: Australian Government agencies : Ethos CRS

1 Like

Hi @lhow,

I’m not aware of any existing scorecard approach for web accessibility within government. Although WCAG 2.1 AA success criteria can be used to provide a percentage figure of how well each page conforms to WCAG 2.1 and this can be aggregated over a number of pages.

i.e. if 50% of WCAG 2.1 AA success criteria fail, it could be determined a page is 50% conformant to WCAG 2.1 AA and then averaged across all pages tested.

WCAG 3.0 provides a rating and score approach identifying degrees of accessibility, this is currently a working draft document and isn’t due out for several years.

I’ve created a WCAG 2.1 AA master sheet and Notion board of how to determine what’s a pass or fail which can be helpful and I can provide more detail if interested.

govau/accessibility: A non-biased, community-driven effort expanding all 50 WCAG 2.1 AA success criteria into discrete tests grouped under filtered categories (github.com)

Thanks Ross, this is good to know unfortunately my dept blocks access to all the Notion links on the page.

How does this approach work with automated testing tools such as Monsido etc?

I’ll add an excel file which should make it easier to apply.

Automated testing tools are good at testing large numbers of pages against criteria which have an absolute certainty, things like images missing ALT attributes. automated tools aren’t good at understanding more nuanced subjective accessibility findings though, does an image have appropriate ALT text, are headings applied correctly all wouldn’t be picked up as failings.

The majority of automated testing tools have limitations and only find a small percentage of all WCAG issues.

Automated tools can be a useful and cheap way of helping you make a service more accessible. They are quick to run and provide immediate feedback. They can be run across lots of pages. Some can be integrated into the build process, so they can identify issues almost as soon as they are created.

But while it can certainly be helpful to run an automated testing tool on a service, it’s important that teams don’t rely on them too heavily. No tool will be able to pick up every accessibility barrier on a website. So just because a tool hasn’t picked up any accessibility issues on a website, doesn’t mean those issues don’t exist.

I’d recommend checking out the discussion on the Whole of Government Search @gordon.grace might be able to help on where that is at. We used the WoG search to initially assess issues against WCAG compliance.