The Australian Government coat of Arms

Communities of practice

Communities of practice

Introduce yourself and meet others

Tell us a bit about you and say hello to others… (feel free to scribe and post or you can just type)

• bit about where you work and what you do
  • any examples of your visual scribing or drawings (anything goes here)
  • any hobbies or interests
  • anything you’d like to learn more about
  • A random fact about you
2 Likes

5 Likes

Hi all. Thought I’d give this a go. Great session last week @belinda.hogg

4 Likes

Hi I’m Libby. I’m Assistant Director, Innovation at the Department of Education, Skills and Employment. My example below I did last year when I decided to scribe the whole day of a Design Leadership conference - this is possibly my favourite. I’m definitely still learning. So many hobbies but I do love swimming and cycling, yoga and designing repeating patterns. I want to get better at drawing people and I’ve just become curious about digital ethnography. Fun fact: I also went to art school and majored in design but I think I go in on the merit of my drawing. I had an awful drawing teacher that turned me off drawing for many years. I’m finishing up my Master of Design Futures and excited to be actively involved in this group when that’s done (3 weeks to go)

2 Likes

Thankyou Libby! And this is awesome - I love this colour combo, its my faves!!
Drawing people I could do a session on - not that I am any expert but I do like doing characters. We can ask if anyone has tips also for people

2 Likes

That sounds awesome Belle. Sign me up!

2 Likes

Hi all,
I am working in the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment in system administration. But have an interest in graphic recording so have been slowly gaining skills in that area. Since COVID-19 I haven’t attended too many live events and tend to listen, think and record whilst attending via Microsoft Teams. A bit more challenging because I am using a smaller space and not having access to large pieces of paper which I find more user friendly. The trickiest part I find with the skill of sketch noting is the synthesizing of the event. Interesting fact, I attended a three day course late last year and got a licence to operate excavators.
Dr Vanessa Pirotta1

2 Likes

The Synthesis part if definitely a craft itself - takes alot of practice and also helps to ask those up front questions to the client of what it’ll be used for. Sometimes we need lots of info captured and others need the key themes. I’ve found having a service design/human-centred design background has helped alot. User researchers are usually good at also grouping and theming s maybe we could do a session on how they synthesise findings into insights?

Also have you dabbled in digital recording?

1 Like

1 Like

Nice work Emma.

1 Like

Thanks Belle. Yes a session on synthesise and how others manage that would get a tick from me. Digital sketch noting I have used my wacom tablet with photoshop but need lots more practice to be more proficient.