The websites I have managed over the last decade of working for local government have had 100’s if not 1000’s of documents, primarily PDFs, available for download.
A component that can manage and display these documents goes a long way in keeping this mammoth under control.
Things that I looked for in a website document manager have been:
- Set up categories and subcategories
- Schedule publish/unpublished/delete date and time
- Be able to replace/update an existing document
- Be fully searchable
- Display on the front-end a list of documents within a category, sub-category or all categories
- Create front-end individual links or lists of selected documents no matter what category they may be in (eg using the document ID)
- Set access privileges on documents
- Batch Uploads to a category
- Document name automatically taken from file name (extension removed), with an ability to rename a document is the file name was poorly considered
*icon for filetypes (e.g PDF, EXCEL, WORD, WAV, MP4 etc)