The Open Data team at the DTA has been collaborating with Data61/CSIRO on MAGDA.
MAGDA is a modern platform built to power a new generation of data portals. Its goal is to improve on the existing data.gov.au portals and management solutions in a number of areas:
- Discoverability of high-quality and relevant data (particularly through search)
- Automatic derivation, repair and/or enhancement of data and metadata
- Seamless federation across multiple data sources
- Collaboration between data providers and users, as well as between users themselves
- Visualisation of data in the medium that best suits it - allowing easily customisable visualisations rather than text-based tables.
- An ecosystem that allows extensions in any programming language
- An easy installation and setup process
MAGDA is a solution for any problem that involves a collection or collections of datasets that need to be searched over, discussed and/or viewed in a single place. It doesn’t matter what format the data is in, how well-formed the metadata is, where the data is stored or in how many places, MAGDA can either work with it or be extended to do so.